Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm getting my butt kicked!

This "back to school" thing has really been a challenge for me. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to balance my time when I got home from work. I'm learning a lot and I have been reading so much information.. I can't really complain.

I just didn't realize that it would be lifestyle change for me.

It definitely means I can't do a lot of the things I used to.. at least not for the time being. I'm just so busy with school work and reading and writing papers and answers and participating in discussions.. phew!

I thought an online course would be easy.

It's so much more harder and time consuming than normal classroom courses.

In a classroom, the students are gathered in a meeting area at a specified time on specified days. The teacher teaches and there is discussion. Some students say things, other don't. There are tests to assess the amount of information that is retained. And all is right with the world.

In an online classroom, it's pretty much on your own time. The requirement is to be online at least twice a week for attendance, and four times a week for "class participation." Adding poinant discussion topics and answers is a MUST. No tests, but a lot of papers and a lot of reading. It's a discipline thing. You dont' necessarily HAVE to be in "class." There are outside world things that distract you while you are "in class."

I"m still trying to find my bearings in this whole "online learning" phenomenon. I know that I will get the hang of it and I refuse to give up.

I'm doing well.. so far. I don't want to lose that momentum!

1 comment:

Dr.John said...

From what I know of you I feel sure that you can do. I know how hard it can be.