Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Guam: Update 1

I'm sitting here in a room at my aunts house.

There are tears streaming down my face. The tension is so thick in this house and everyone is spread so thin that breakdowns are quite frequent in here. There is so much stress and emotion over my grandfather that it usually comes out two ways: tears or anger.

Everyone feels so helpless, especially my grandfather. It's hard to see him depend on his children when I know him to be quite independent. It's hard to see him muster every ounce of his strength just to sit up right, or go to the restroom. Every emotion is magified at least a million times.

It's hard watching him struggle. It's hard to see the fear he is experiencing about leaving Grandma. It's hard to see my Dad so worried about his own dad.

I knew that coming here would be hard to deal with, but I feel very blessed to have the opportunity.

It's kind of funny when you think about how life works.

As a helpless child, you depend on your parents for everything. Your parents feed you when you are hungry. They change your diaper and bathe you. They hold you close when you are in need of comfort.

As time goes on and parents get older the roles reverse. You feed them when they are too weak to feed themselves. You change and bathe them when they no longer are able to do things by themselves. You hold them close and comfort them when they are sick and apprehensive about what the future brings for them.

Its the circle of life.. i guess..

This is my first update while I'm here. I'll try to let you know what's going on..

Prayers and kind thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Dr.John said...

I pray for you every night. I'm praying that this visit will give you some memories that you will treasure as well as those that give pain.