Friday, February 15, 2008

Doing what you need to do..

I'm at the time in my life that I realize that I am not heading in the direction that I thought I would be when I as 16. I guess I have been in denial about it all these years and I'm finally waking up from it all.

When a girl is sixteen, they have dreams about where they will be before they turn 30. The have dreams about how their life would be by the time their 10 year high school reunion comes along.

Personally, my expectation was that I was going to be famous. I was going to be all over TV and the movies, I would either be a pop star singer or an actress. I was so set on having that happen before my 10-year reunion. Before I turned 30, I was to have been married with children.

I'm 27, and I am single, no where near getting married, and without children. I have a great career, and great friends and great family.

For that, I still feel very blessed.

But I'm at the point of my life that I have to move forward. And if I can't move forward in the way I had always thought and dreamed of doing, I have to find another way. That other way is school.

Getting my Masters Degree is a pretty big deal for me and the family. Everyone in my immediate family has survived on a Bachelors Degree and has been very successful. I am successful with my Bachelors Degree, but I would love to earn my Masters. Also, this is something I will be doing by myself. My parents will not be helping me because it is not their duty anymore. They have worked very hard to get me through college the first time, why burden them with my new quest for higher education.

I'm taking my life into my own hands.. and eventually, I can do the things that I had always dreamed of doing.. but for now.. this is the direction I need to be going..

3 comments:

pandian chelliah said...

best of luck for ur masters....

Dr.John said...

As one who has two master's degrees and an earned doctorate they aren't all that people think they are.
It is good that you are doing this just to improve yourself and not because you have to.

Anonymous said...

A noble goal and a challenging road to walk. Best of luck to you