Sunday, March 25, 2007

A public service announcement from your friendly CCD teacher..

A little note of advice.. from a CCD teacher's perspective..

I mean.. seriously.. do you really have to depend on US to teach your kids the basics of our faith.. like.. simple gestures and prayers.. and what not.. like the Sign of the Cross.. it's something that you do ALL THE TIME.. or the Lord's Prayer.. something that you've said ALL YOUR LIFE..

And why do you have to wait til your child starts taking CCD classes to start going to church every week.. and why does it seem like we have to pull teeth just to get you to do so.. I understand that maybe Sundays aren't good days for some people.. but I mean.. at the beginning of the year.. I give you a whole list of churches in the area... and different times of the day.. saturday and sunday..

And please.. when i am teaching them prayers.. please.. please.. please help them.. help them memorize them.. go over them everyday.. help us.. we aren't doing this to torture them.. we aren't doing this just because we want to pack their brains with things.. these are very important prayers.. prayers that they will take with them for the rest of their life.. prayers that help them practice their faith.. i teach them that prayer is not only those formattted prayers.. but their own words and thoughts can be prayers too.. so help them.. teach them.. pray with them.. show them that you support what they are doing.. that you had been there too.. so.. help them out..

Make sure you tell them to pay attention when i'm trying to teach them things.. I mean.. I'm not a babysitting service.. I'm here for a reason.. I know that they might not be too thrilled to be there.. but please.. let them know that I'm doing this for a reason.. help them.. help us.. do us a favor..

We are not paid volunteers.. we don't have to be there.. we don't have to teach them.. we are here because we care about children and their faith journey.. we want to see them grow into strong Catholic men and women.. but help us..

And I'm stepping off my podium now.. I'll be back tomorrow with my regularly scheduled blogging..

1 comment:

Dr.John said...

You sound like a Lutheran Confirmation teacher. The parents don't listen to them either.