Friday, January 02, 2009

How the Eve went..

My countdown to 2009 was rather eventful.

Not in the way that most people would think. It all had a happy ending, but getting there was pure torture.

It started off like any other day off. I slept in.. then ran some errands. Got my nails done and threaded my eyebrows in preparation for the nights festivities.

In the afternoon, I proceeded to take a nap. I knew it was going to be a long night of partying and I learned that as I am getting older.. it gets harder and harder to stay up later and later. I realize I am not longer the spring chicken I used to be..

Anyway.. during my nap I get a text message from my best friend.

She tells me not to worry but just wanted to know if Joe was ok because there was a fire in a club in Bangkok and several people were killed and hundred or so more were injured.

Of course.. I start to worry. I hadn't heard from him the whole day. Usually, by the late afternoon and early evening I would have heard from him.. either through a text on my phone or through an email.

I hadn't heard from him at all.

So my mind starts racing. I'm frantically emailing him.. I tried calling.. and obviously his phone was off..

I was a mess.

By the time the family had to leave to go to my aunts house for the countdown.. I was a huge pile of tears. I neglected to do my makeup.. and I forgot my camera and I was totally not my chipper-self.

My mind and prayers were on the other side of the world hoping that he was just asleep or busy elsewhere..

Luckily.. after about three or four agonizing hours.. I hear from him telling me he was ok and that he hadn't realized there was a club fire. Thank God he was at another place ringing in the new year.

I was able to relax the rest of the night but it really exhausted me. I hadn't realized until then how much I actually cared about him and how badly I would have felt if I wouldn't have him around anymore.

It was a wake up call to how I seem to really feel about him.

God likes to speak to me.. but He didn't have to scare me half to death!

No comments: